Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tea Time with Papier Mache

I got this lovely paper mache tutorial from Ann Wood's blog. Aren't they adorable? Mine are woodland inspired and while I originally thought I would fill the inside with glitter, I think I like how I painted the dandelions on the blue cup best.




When I first painted the cups, I wasn't sure that I liked how matte the water color dried on the newspaper so I sealed the paint with Modpodge gloss finish... After looking at them intensely, I've concluded I like the matte finish better, but I need to chill out on the excessive layering of newspaper during the actual paper mache process. More layers = sloppier surface. I feel like the light catches on all the rough edges. Especially the glitter on the inside of the teal colored one. But, practice makes perfect, I guess, so I will make more and more until they are just right!



Now, a side note on Ann Wood: I fell in love first with her amazing cake topper birds. I stumbled upon her etsy shop one day, while I was planning my January wedding and  knew instantly that I HAD to have these cuties on my wedding cake. She custom makes them out of vintage fabrics and gives them all cute unique names. I adore them. I want to fill my house with these ridiculously expensive creatures (at the time they were all made-to-order but it seems she is now selling them in various shoppes.)


These are the birdies she made for me! Greta and Marshal are their names.



Here they are happily perched atop my wedding cake. It's the small touches that make a wedding, I think. Anyway, just thought I would share. Hope you enjoy the tea cups! 

1 comment: