Thursday, July 14, 2011

Here's What I've Been Up To

Tool Belts.
           Face it: Busy girls need tool belts. Cute ones. They need a place for their pens, and tape measurer and calculator, tip money, receipts, recipes and whatever else a girl needs while on the job. I first started making these about a year ago when I got a job at Compass Wines here in town and I got sick of running back and forth for things like box cutters and paper clips.












I am hoping to start selling them soon. I've made a few for coworkers and I have another in progress for my sister who works with kids at a day camp. Here is what I have going on for her:




This one is made of vinyl with an oil cloth lining for durability and easy cleanup. She is super stoked to get rid of her hideous fanny pack and fill this shiny new Tooly with Band-Aids, ice packs and Goldfish crackers. Just because you spend all day chasing kids around doesn't mean you have to sacrifice fashion for functionality. These have both! The only problem is that they are taking me forever to make. Even though all the pieces are predominately geometric shapes, I find myself over thinking the project in terms of how I am going to assemble it. Ugh. I spent an entire evening making cardboard stencils of all the pieces I need for each Tooly, and still it takes me twelve freaking hours to make one. Bleh. At that rate I will have to charge $100.00 a piece! Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment