Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Organize Your Ribbon Now!




I came across this idea today while I was desperately trying to organize the storage room at work. So much stuff and absolutely no where to put it!!! What we do have, since I work at a wine shop, is wine boxes. So, I made that ^^ guy for our shipping room. Neat, huh?

These wooden boxes hold only three bottles a piece making them shallow and about a foot and a half tall. Perfect for RIBBON! or tape or gift wrap or whatever... The grooves at each end of the box will hold a 1/4" dowel in place. I cut the dowel with a HORRIBLE knife I found lurking in our employee kitchen. You should NOT do the same, as you may end up fingerless, but use a hand saw or ask your local hardware store to do the dirty work for you. After it's cut, slide the FedEx and UPS stickers onto the dowel and secure it with a piece of cork  at the opening so it can't slide out. Cork is flexible ( and also a widely available resource at work...) so it can squeeze into a tight space and secure the gap.


I plan on mounting it on the wall too. I will post a pick of that when it happens, BUT I loved it so much that I made one for my messy ribbons at home as well...


 

And while there is an unnecessary amount of space between the two rows, this homemade storage unite was free. And required minimal effort. I WILL, however, bust out my handy-dandy power drill one day and put a few holes in it eventually. Using a slightly too long dowel with a permanent stopper on one side, I can easily make another row. For now, I am happy with two rows.  
Now, finding wine boxes is easier than you may think. Many wine shops will sell extra boxes upon request or,   like at the shop I work at, they are sold for $5 twice a year at major wine events (our events are free!) Just ask. Lots of places are happy to get rid of them. Just be sure they have the grooves like the one shown above! Some boxes, surprisingly, do not! Then purchase your dowel at Ace or wherever... phew! If feels good to get that ribbon off the floor!!

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE this idea!!!

    you are so lucky to have such easy access to these wine boxes, I love the look of them.
    Also, some of those ribbons in there are just too cute for words! ;)

    ReplyDelete